How to manage exercise post-Covid
The British Medical Journal has provided us with some well-structured, practical advice for helping patients safely return to exercise post-Covid. The key points are:
- Address ongoing problems from cardiovascular to psychological issues
- No return to exercise until the patient is at least 7 days symptom-free
- Start with 14 days of minimal exertion
- Monitor progress daily, to manage the speed of return to full activity
- Use the Borg Rating of Perceived Exertion to inform decisions
I found this really useful, as it’s comprehensive but easy enough to follow. I am surprised by how cautious the advice is; it has certainly changed my practice. I no longer give the usual “push as hard as you’re comfortable with” advice to post-Covid patients.